• Alonso to race in Chinese GP

    Fernando Alonso 2015 Malaysia.jpgFernando Alonso will race in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix after passing his medical inspection following first practice.

    Having completed 11 laps in the morning session at the Shanghai International Circuit, which was interrupted twice by red flags, the medical chiefs ruled Alonso may continue participating in the weekend.

    “As a result of a medical examination undertaken following free practice one, the FIA F1 medical delegate, Prof. Jean-Charles Piette, and the chief medical officer of the Chinese Grand Prix; Prof. Shiyi Chen, have ruled that Fernando Alonso is fit to take part in all remaining sessions this weekend,” the FIA announced in a statement.

    “However, as with this morning’s session, in case of any abnormal symptoms the driver has been informed that he must stop his car immediately.”

    “As the driver has been cleared to take part, no further medical checks will be undertaken unless the driver presents any abnormal symptoms.”

  • Alonso ‘provisionally fit’ to race in China

    Fernando Alonso 2015 Malaysia.jpgFernando Alonso has been declared “provisionally fit” to take part in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.

    The McLaren driver, who broke a rib in a crash in last month’s Australian Grand Prix, faces further tests before being given the full go-ahead.

    The Spanish two-time champion, 34, will be given a second check-up after taking part in first practice on Friday.

    Governing body the FIA took six hours to make this decision after testing Alonso on Thursday.

    The FIA medical delegate Jean-Charles Piette barred Alonso from racing in the second race of the season in Bahrain two weeks ago because of his injuries.

    Speaking before the decision was made public, Alonso said that he felt “100%” but expected the FIA to want to examine him after first practice.

  • Alonso to miss Bahrain GP

    McLaren’s Fernando Alonso has been barred from racing in the Bahrain Grand Prix after suffering “rib fractures” and a partially collapsed lung in his 180mph crash in Australia.

    Fernando AlonsoMedics made the call after conducting scans on the two-time world champion.

    He will be replaced by McLaren reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne, who will be making his F1 debut in Bahrain.

    A “disappointed” Alonso says there was “a risk the fracture could affect the lung” and he “respects the decision”.

    In Thursday’s news conference in Bahrain, the 34-year-old revealed he suffered a pneumothorax – a partially collapsed lung – as a result of the accident in Melbourne but this had now healed.

    He said it was “not 100%” that he will be able to race in China in two weeks and he will be tested again in the next eight to 10 days after which governing body the FIA will evaluate his condition.

  • Alonso out of Bahrain GP, Vandoorne in

    It’s been a tough beginning to the season for Fernando Alonso in both the 2015 and 2016 seasons. After the massive crash in this season’s opening race in Australia, Alonso has had further medical tests and McLaren released a statement:

    “Following an examination undertaken this morning at the Bahrain International Circuit Medical Centre, it has been decided that McLaren Honda F1 Team driver Fernando Alonso should not take part in this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

    “Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decide that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.

    “A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there.”

    I’m not sure what issue this statement is referring to with regards to his chest but my immediate worry was concussion given the violent nature of the wreck and compound with his concussion from last years incident (that prompted him to miss the first race of the 2015 season), I was very concerned about the cumulative effect. There is no mention of a concussion in the McLaren statement, rather concerns over his chest.

    Reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will now stand in for Alonso and make his debut in Formula 1 at this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix, the second race of the season.

    Via formula1blog

  • No further action over Alonso-Gutierrez Australian GP crash

    @Suttonimages

    The FIA have confirmed that there will be no further action following the dramatic crash between Fernando Alonso and Esteban Gutierrez.

    Alonso clipped the left rear of Gutierrez’s Haas as the pair approached Turn 3 on lap 18 of the Australian Grand Prix, pitching his McLaren into the wall and then into an airborne barrel roll across the gravel trap.

    The Spaniard was able to clamber out, with Gutierrez immediately running over to check if the double world champion was okay.

    After the incident, Alonso placed no blame on the Mexican driver and later on the FIA stewards also concurred with that assessment, declaring – after examining video evidence and speaking to both men – that ‘no driver was wholly or predominantly to blame’.

dd