Magnussen escapes penalty after red light incident

The stewards have confirmed that no further action will be taken against Kevin Magnussen after he was investigated for exiting the pit lane under a red light in qualifying.

Magnussen was placed under investigation after he crossed the pit exit line despite the lights being on red at the moment he crossed the line following Max Verstappen’s crash in Q1.

Despite TV replays confirming the infringement, the stewards have decided to take no action against the Renault driver having determined that Magnussen’s dashboard warning system only went red half a second before he exited the pit lane.

The full decision by the FIA stewards is as follows:

Although the green light was extinguished and replaced by the red light two seconds before the driver crossed the pit exit line, the team presented evidence that the dashboard light only turned to red 0.55 seconds prior to the car crossing the line.

Further, the driver explained that he looked at the trackside light on approach, it was green, then he focussed on the track ahead because there is a turn from the the pit exit. By the time his dashboard light came on it was too late to avoid crossing the line. The team also radioed “red flag, red flag”, but the car had passed the line.

Alonso to race in Chinese GP

Fernando Alonso 2015 Malaysia.jpgFernando Alonso will race in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix after passing his medical inspection following first practice.

Having completed 11 laps in the morning session at the Shanghai International Circuit, which was interrupted twice by red flags, the medical chiefs ruled Alonso may continue participating in the weekend.

“As a result of a medical examination undertaken following free practice one, the FIA F1 medical delegate, Prof. Jean-Charles Piette, and the chief medical officer of the Chinese Grand Prix; Prof. Shiyi Chen, have ruled that Fernando Alonso is fit to take part in all remaining sessions this weekend,” the FIA announced in a statement.

“However, as with this morning’s session, in case of any abnormal symptoms the driver has been informed that he must stop his car immediately.”

“As the driver has been cleared to take part, no further medical checks will be undertaken unless the driver presents any abnormal symptoms.”

Alonso ‘provisionally fit’ to race in China

Fernando Alonso 2015 Malaysia.jpgFernando Alonso has been declared “provisionally fit” to take part in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.

The McLaren driver, who broke a rib in a crash in last month’s Australian Grand Prix, faces further tests before being given the full go-ahead.

The Spanish two-time champion, 34, will be given a second check-up after taking part in first practice on Friday.

Governing body the FIA took six hours to make this decision after testing Alonso on Thursday.

The FIA medical delegate Jean-Charles Piette barred Alonso from racing in the second race of the season in Bahrain two weeks ago because of his injuries.

Speaking before the decision was made public, Alonso said that he felt “100%” but expected the FIA to want to examine him after first practice.

Alonso to miss Bahrain GP

McLaren’s Fernando Alonso has been barred from racing in the Bahrain Grand Prix after suffering “rib fractures” and a partially collapsed lung in his 180mph crash in Australia.

Fernando AlonsoMedics made the call after conducting scans on the two-time world champion.

He will be replaced by McLaren reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne, who will be making his F1 debut in Bahrain.

A “disappointed” Alonso says there was “a risk the fracture could affect the lung” and he “respects the decision”.

In Thursday’s news conference in Bahrain, the 34-year-old revealed he suffered a pneumothorax – a partially collapsed lung – as a result of the accident in Melbourne but this had now healed.

He said it was “not 100%” that he will be able to race in China in two weeks and he will be tested again in the next eight to 10 days after which governing body the FIA will evaluate his condition.

Alonso has 4 engines left in 2016

It’s a tough way to start your Bahrain Grand Prix weekend but McLaren’s Fernando Alonso will have a new engine already after the ICE used in the Australia was too damaged following a massive crash.

“We have recovered the power unit from Fernando’s car used in Melbourne,” said Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda’s F1 boss.

“After initial investigations, we are massively disappointed that the ICE and most of the surrounding parts have been heavily damaged, as the impact from the accident was just too great. We will be replacing the complete power unit in Bahrain.”

With precious few engines for the entirety of the season, Fernando is already on the back foot this year. You have to hand it to his positive face in the press though:

“Firstly, I’m very pleased to be heading to Bahrain after the crash in Australia. I’ve spent some time resting and I can’t wait to get back in the car,” he said.

“Although on paper Melbourne wasn’t a great race for us, before the crash I’d been having some good battles and the car felt pretty promising, so I hope in Bahrain we can experience more of the same.

“We’re still pushing to bring upgrades to each race, so providing we can get everything to the car in time we’ll be aiming to get as much track time as possible with the new chassis from the start of free practice.”

He’s right though, he was running relatively well compared to last year’s performance and might possibly have scored points if not for the crash with Haas F1 driver Esteban Gutierrez. Regardless, more challenges for McLaren Honda and only the second race into a 21-race season. As Sky points out, having 4 left is an issue considering they used 23 engines between drivers last season.

 

dd