Sauber future secured following takeover

The future of Sauber has been safeguarded following the takeover of the team by the Swiss company Longbow Finance.

Peter Sauber, who set his team up in the seventies and will now retire from all positions he previously held, said the deal signed by he and CEO Monisha Kaltenborn secures the future of the Formula One Team and the Sauber Group”.

“I am very happy that my courageous investment to buy the team back, which I made six years ago, with the intention to secure the base in Hinwil and the place in Formula 1 has proved to be correct,” he added.

Kaltenborn described Longbow as “the perfect partner to again make the team competitive and successful in Formula One”.

“At the same time the new structure will allow us to finally further expand our third party business in which we commercialise our know-how. This solution is in the best interest of our employees, partners, loyal suppliers, the base in Hinwil and for the Swiss motorsport. We are very grateful that Longbow Finance S.A.believes in the competences, efficiency and capabilities of Sauber Group, and we look forward to a new exciting future.”

Ericsson and Kvyat penalised for Monaco collisions

Marcus Ericsson and Daniil Kvyat will both receive three-place grid penalties for the Canadian Grand Prix after stewards found them to be at fault for separate collisions.

Kvyat was awarded a three-place grid penalty as well as two penalty points on his license for avoidable contact with Kevin Magnussen, while Ericsson was given the same punishment for colliding with his team mate later in the race.

The penalties leave Ericsson with six penalty points on his super license, while Kvyat currently has seven. Any driver who receives 12 points in a single 12 month period will recieve a one race suspension.

Kimi Raikkonen was also investigated after the race following his collision with Romain Grosjean, but no further action was taken by the stewards.

Sauber technical director leaves a week before Australian GP

By , Permalink

The technical director at Sauber, Mark Smith, has departed the team, just a week before the first race of the 2016 season.

The team said in a statement that Smith had left due to “family reasons.”

The Briton has left the team with immediate effect leaving the Swiss outfit without a technical boss less than a week before the season opening Australian Grand Prix.

Smith who only joined Sauber in July last year has worked at several F1 teams throughout his career including Caterham, Force India, Red Bull and Jordan.

Practice for the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne takes place this Friday.

Sauber reveal C35 ahead of final test

By , Permalink

Sauber C35, 2016Sauber have unveiled their 2016 challenger, the C35.

The car features largely the same livery as 2015 with most fo the modifications at the tightly packed rear thanks to a smaller Ferrari engine and gearbox.

The team used their 2015 car during last weeks pre-season test in Barcelona, and now just have the next few days to get to grips with the new car before the Australian Grand Prix in less than three weeks time.

The team leave their lineup unchanged for the season with Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson both hoping to add to the points they scored last year.

Sauber to miss first F1 test

Sauber will miss the opening pre-season test ahead of the 2016 season.

Schedules for all teams were changed when the season calendar was brought forward by two weeks.

To accommodate this move the Swiss team will be forced to only take part in the second and final pre-season test of the year.

Sauber are expected to still attend the first test in Barcelona from the 22-25 February but with a modified version of the 2015 car.

The 2016 C35 will make it’s debut at the second test from the 1-4 March.

The 2016 season was originally due to start on 3 April but was brought forward because of the need to cram a record 21 races into the calendar.

The season-opening Australian Grand Prix will now take place on the 20th March.

dd