Alonso to miss Bahrain GP

McLaren’s Fernando Alonso has been barred from racing in the Bahrain Grand Prix after suffering “rib fractures” and a partially collapsed lung in his 180mph crash in Australia.

Fernando AlonsoMedics made the call after conducting scans on the two-time world champion.

He will be replaced by McLaren reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne, who will be making his F1 debut in Bahrain.

A “disappointed” Alonso says there was “a risk the fracture could affect the lung” and he “respects the decision”.

In Thursday’s news conference in Bahrain, the 34-year-old revealed he suffered a pneumothorax – a partially collapsed lung – as a result of the accident in Melbourne but this had now healed.

He said it was “not 100%” that he will be able to race in China in two weeks and he will be tested again in the next eight to 10 days after which governing body the FIA will evaluate his condition.

Alonso out of Bahrain GP, Vandoorne in

It’s been a tough beginning to the season for Fernando Alonso in both the 2015 and 2016 seasons. After the massive crash in this season’s opening race in Australia, Alonso has had further medical tests and McLaren released a statement:

“Following an examination undertaken this morning at the Bahrain International Circuit Medical Centre, it has been decided that McLaren Honda F1 Team driver Fernando Alonso should not take part in this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decide that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds.

“A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there.”

I’m not sure what issue this statement is referring to with regards to his chest but my immediate worry was concussion given the violent nature of the wreck and compound with his concussion from last years incident (that prompted him to miss the first race of the 2015 season), I was very concerned about the cumulative effect. There is no mention of a concussion in the McLaren statement, rather concerns over his chest.

Reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will now stand in for Alonso and make his debut in Formula 1 at this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix, the second race of the season.

Via formula1blog

Vandoorne becomes McLaren reserve for 2016

By , Permalink

Stoffel Vandoorne has been announced as the new reserve driver for McLaren from the 2016 F1 season.

Stoffel Vandoorne
Source- BBC
The Belgian will replace Kevin Magnussen who has been released by the team after one year of racing in 2014 and standing in for an injured Fernando Alonso in Australia this year.
Vandoorne was the reserve in 2013 also, but he has said that he still intends to race somewhere throughout the 2016 season.

McLaren announce Vandoorne as reserve

By , Permalink
McLarenMcLaren have chosen Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne as their official reserve driver in 2014.
The role means that if either of the team’s race drivers, Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen, cannot take part in a race Vandoorne would stand in for them.
The 21-year-old’s promotion follows that of Magnussen to the race seat.
Magnussen, who replaced Mexican Sergio Perez, beat Vandoorne to the Formula Renault 3.5 title last year and McLaren rate both as future world champions.
McLaren sporting director Sam Michael said: “Stoffel is a truly excellent young driver – fast, combative, consistent, intelligent and ambitious – and he’s already made an excellent impression on all at McLaren during the year he’s spent as a member of the McLaren Young Driver Programme.
“His technical input is first-class, he’s excellent in our simulator, and he isn’t afraid of hard work.”
McLaren are considering him as a potential race driver in 2015.
Button’s contract runs out at the end of this season, and McLaren have not decided whether to renew it.
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has been trying to persuade double world champion Fernando Alonso to re-join from Ferrari.
However, Whitmarsh’s position is in doubt following the appointment of former team boss Ron Dennis as chief executive officer, charged with turning around McLaren’s performance after a dire 2013 season.
Alonso has made it clear he blames Dennis for his problems with the team in 2007, after which he left one year into a three-year contract, and is considered unlikely to rejoin McLaren if Dennis is at the helm.
The 32-year-old Spaniard is also under contract to Ferrari until the end of 2016.

dd