6 hours ago
Nissan has scooped the prestigious Auto Express Car of the Year 2022 with its all-new pure electric Ariya.
British engineers at Nissan’s European technical team in Cranfield have played a big role in the development of the new Ariya, resulting in what judges describe as “a comfortable ride and superb refinement with impressive agility for a big car”.
The Ariya is Nissan’s second mass-market EV following its pioneering Leaf, arguably the EV that first made electric driving affordable.
The annual Auto Express Awards are “the most customer-focused car awards in the UK”, recommending models across categories that are set, like the judging criteria, following research into the wants and needs of real UK buyers.
As well as specific EV category wins, there was success for electric cars in traditional car categories, too. The new all-electric Fiat 500 scooped the best City Car trophy and the Renault Megane E-Tech Electric was named Best Company Car.
“The new Nissan Ariya is quite simply a fantastic new car – it just so happens to be an EV, too,” said Steve Fowler, Editor-in-Chief of Auto Express.
“It’s so cleverly thought through, buyers will find it really easy and enjoyable to live with, while it drives superbly, looks great and is the most premium-feeling Nissan we’ve ever seen.”
Auto Express Car of the Year 2022 winners
- City Car of the Year – Fiat 500
- Supermini of the Year – Renault Clio
- Family Car of the Year – Dacia Jogger
- Estate Car of the Year – Skoda Octavia Estate
- Small Company Car of the Year – Renault Mégane E-Tech Electric
- Mid-size Company Car of the Year – Nissan Ariya
- Large Company Car of the Year – BMW 5 Series
- Small SUV of the Year – Kia Niro
- Mid-size SUV of the Year – Hyundai Tucson
- Large SUV of the Year – Skoda Kodiaq
- Small Premium SUV of the Year – Mercedes-Benz GLA
- Mid-size Premium SUV of the Year – Lexus NX
- Large Premium SUV of the Year – Land Rover Defender
- Luxury Car of the Year – Range Rover
- Hot Hatch of the Year – Hyundai i20 N
- Coupé of the Year – BMW 2 Series
- Convertible of the Year – MINI Convertible
- Performance Car of the Year – Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS
- Affordable Electric Car of the Year – MG ZS EV
- Premium Electric Car of the Year – BMW i4
- Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year – Toyota Yaris
- Premium Hybrid Car of the Year – Mercedes-Benz C 300 e
- Pick-up of the Year – Ford Ranger
- Electric Van of the Year – Ford E-Transit
- Van of the Year – Fiat Ducato
- Technology Award – Mercedes-Benz VISION EQXX
- Auto Express New Car of the Year – Nissan Ariya
F1 star Valtteri Bottas has helped Alfa Romeo celebrate its 112th anniversary with a unique …